About this project
The problem we solve: There is an increasing cancer burden in society - 1.7 millions new cancer cases is 2015; and problem is expected to grow exponentially to 2.4 million new cancer case by 2035.
1. 15-25% of cancer patient suffer from depression
2. 40 out of 100 cancer patients suffer from psychological distress
3. 40% of patients report significant financial burden
4. Era of Opioid Crisis - 1 in every 4 individual getting pain prescription suffers from addiction.
We have made great advances in diagnosis and treatment of cancer with excellent surgical techniques and medications to our disposal, however these interventions by themselves are inadequate to solve all the problems facing cancer community. We need a multi-faceted approach. Mobile gaming technology is one of the most growing technologies in last few years, and our mission is to harness the power of gaming technology for betterment of healthcare.
About our solution: There is strong evidence that healthcare related games can help cancer patients with various problemes (e.g Dr Kato showed increase in sense of self-efficacy & improved treatment adherence while other researcher showed reducing in emotional stress or diverge attention from pain)
Our goal is as follow:
Gameplay is designed to give players the feeling of fighting against cancer from inside the human body. Players will use real life strategies to fight against cancer. This gives them a sense of empowerment, physically fighting cancer and making a difference.
“Knowledge is Power” - Within this game, players will be able to learn about latest information pertaining to various cancers. Gaming platform will enable us to provide information in fun and engaging manner for all players, from kids to adults.
Financial support - Players will be able to collect Red Blood Cells and these collected RBCs could be used as a virtual currency, which players may donate to a charity of their choice. Progress to date: 1. Design/Development - we have completed 2 game stages (breast cancer and lung cancer), with multiple levels in each stage. Additionally, we have already designed and developed multiple characters, along with education and donation portals, and more.
2. We are collaborating with two companies focusing on childhood cancer.
3. We are currently recruiting for beta-testing and more than 100 individuals have signed up for early release access
4. With just over a month of marketing we’ve noticed excellent response from patients, care providers, cancer community and medical institutions which has also motivated us to launch a Kickstarter campaign in efforts to further grow the application and help millions of people.
About Our Team
Dr. Ankit Kansagra, MD Hematology/Oncology , Resident Location: Springfield, Massachusetts Medical school: Tufts School of Medicine Bio: I am a Hematology/Oncology Chief Fellow at Baystate Medical Center/TUFTS University. I did my medicine training in Boston at North Shore Medical Center followed by my chief residency. I have been actively involved in health care quality, process improvement and patient outcomes research. I am very excited about this project of using technology to solve some of the day to day problems facing patients and physicians.
Hospital Affiliation: Baystate Medical Center/Tufts University Title: Chief Fellow - Hematology/Oncology Twitter:@kansagramd LinkedIn:ankit-kansagra-065716b8
About Team Members
Validation Specialist - Contract Pharma Corp, Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science Biography: I am pharmacist currently working as a Validation Specialist at Contract Pharma. As a son of cancer fighter and having seen the challenges first hand, I know what a patient goes through and my active areas of work involve patient and family support. http://linkedin.com/in/nandish-zalavadia-083a4331 Twitter:@N_Zalavadia Jay Kansagra
Data Engineer , Master of Information Systems Management Biography: I am a data engineer at a trading firm in Chicago. I graduated from Carnegie Melon University with Masters of Information Systems Management. I am interested in using technology and data to make a lasting impact on cancer community. http://linkedin.com/in/jay-kansagra-44b7702b Twitter:@TigerJz32
There is strong evidence that healthcare related games can help patients improve compliance with medication, increase self efficacy, reduce stress and pain.
Tumorman provides the following by using mobile gaming platform
1.Emotional and psychosocial support
2. Education and knowledge about cancer
3. Financial support (One of the most impactful feature is the ability to donate their collected points to an organization of their choice)
Some of our future plans:
- Develop individualized care plans for patients to help during treatment and survivorship period.
- Crowdfund for individuals who need support (e.g: Tommy needs financial help while battling cancer, individuals who wants to help can create teams who will generate donations (directly) for Tommy by playing the game - think of this as cancer walk teams but virtually!)
- Create an online discussion forum for millions of cancer patients/supporters to connect and get peer-to-peer
How We Help Education
Using innovative technology is a key aspect of learning in 21st century. Our application is a bridge between healthcare and entertainment, especially gaming. We can no longer expect that medication and surgeries are going to take care of all the problems for us. This application tries to address some of the key issues surrounding cancer care and survivorship. This concept helps the coming generation of physicians learn how technology can be used to educate patients, and how care providers can reach millions of people at a same time and make a social impact.
How We Help Physicians
Physicians can utilize our mobile gaming application to help patients during various phases of treatment and improve their practice:
• Help patients improve the sense of self-efficacy and empowerment.
• Help patients diverge from pain and potentially reduce need for pain medications. (In an era of opioid epidemic, this could an easy fix!)
• Provide a medium for patients to get education about cancer from trusted source.
• Potentially improve medication adherence.
And if you (physicians) are running late, you can be rest assured that your patients will have a fun and an educational activity to keep them engaged!
Lastly but not the least its completely FREE !
Mission: Tumorman is an innovative solution that harnesses the power of mobile gaming to help cancer patients and care-providers’ deal with challenges facing cancer community. Use of funds: We plan to use the grant towards:
1.Improving the Educational component of our app and working towards developing more detailed and individualized care plans for patients to help during treatment and survivorship period.
2.Designing a pilot study of the application and implementing feedback on further improvement.
3.Expanding our application to include more real life strategies within the game. Intellectual Property Status: Provisional patent in process. Some of the algorithms are proprietary to the company. FDA Status: At this moment FDA clearance is not required. Personal Message: AMA community, you now know about our innovative plan to win the fight against cancer. We need your support to make this happen. Please try Tumorman, it's completely FREE! You can help win this fight by joining and sharing our vision. So what are you waiting for? Download Tumorman to Play for Purpose!